The 1960s was a significant period in the realms of fashion and makeup, filled with daring originality and artistry. Iconic styles that still influence modern trends were born during this time. This in-depth guide presents a 1960s makeup tutorial, facilitating you to grasp the craft and embody the unique vibe of this remarkable era.
Exploring the 1960s Makeup Styles
1960s makeup styles are known for their eye-catching, dramatic eyes, subdued lips, and velvety, matte skin. The decade witnessed two prominent makeup trends: the early ’60s “Mod” style, embodied by Twiggy, and the late ’60s “Hippie” style, popularized by personalities like Brigitte Bardot and Jean Shrimpton.
Steps to Achieving a Flawless 1960s Makeup Base
- Skin Preparation: Begin with a clean, moisturized face. A hydrating primer ensures your makeup remains intact all day.
- Foundation: Choose a matte foundation that complements your skin tone. The 1960s emphasized a perfect, matte complexion.
- Concealer: Use concealer under your eyes and on any spots or redness. Ensure it blends seamlessly with your foundation.
- Powder: A translucent powder will secure your base while maintaining the matte look.
Creating the Signature 1960s Eye Makeup
- Eyeshadow: Use a white or cream eyeshadow as a base on your lid. A gray or brown shade in the crease adds definition.
- Eyeliner: The ’60s are renowned for their dramatic eyeliner. A black liquid liner can be used to draw a thick line along your upper lash line, winging it out at the end.
- Mascara: Apply several layers of black mascara on your upper and lower lashes. For an authentic 1960s look, consider using false lashes.
- Eyebrows: Maintain natural but well-groomed eyebrows. Use a brow pencil that matches your hair color to fill in any sparse areas.
Final Touches: Lips and Cheeks
- Blush: Use a soft pink blush on the apples of your cheeks, blending it towards your temples.
- Lipstick: The ’60s favored pale, matte lips. Opt for a nude or pale pink lipstick, topping it with a clear gloss if desired.
The 1960s makeup styles have a certain allure that continues to enchant. This period was marked by self-expression through bold and dramatic makeup looks. Although these styles may seem daunting initially, our detailed 1960s makeup tutorial makes them accessible for recreation at home. So, why wait? Unleash your inner Twiggy or Bardot and tap into the audacious ’60s spirit. For more insights, check out our mastering youtube makeup tutorials insightful guide.